Jonathan Quick doesn’t want to be traded despite being retooled



As the list freeze grows on Monday, New York Rangers are ready to be active sellers before the March 6 NHL trade deadline. General manager Chris Drury has already begun restructuring the roster, moving defenseman Carson Soucy to the New York Islanders and deals All-Star wing Artemi Panarin to the Los Angeles Kings. At 22-29-6 and last in the Eastern Conference, the Rangers are 19 points behind the Boston Bruins for the second wild card, making roster moves possible.

Despite the sellout, veteran shortstop Jonathan Quick made it clear he doesn’t want to move.

“I’m happy here. I want to be here,” Quick told the New York Post after Thursday’s practice. “It means a lot to me to wear this jersey.

The 40-year-old, who is pending an unrestricted free agent, controls a 20-team no-trade clause and reiterated earlier this week that he intends to honor his contract.

“When I signed the contract, I planned to honor the contract,” Quick told the Post. “The focus is always where you are and what you’re doing right now. That’s where the focus has been and will continue to be.”

Quick signed with New York in the summer of 2023 and later agreed to consecutive one-year deals, including a $1.55 million deal on March 12 for the 2025-26 season.

With two Stanley Cups and 408 wins, 12th all-time among goalies and second among active goaltenders, Quick has plenty of hardware. During his first two seasons with the Rangers, he posted a .903 save percentage with five shutouts in 46 starts while playing second fiddle to Igor Shesterkin.

This season was more challenging. With Vezina-winning netminder Shesterkin out since Jan. 5 with a lower-body injury suffered in the same game that injured Adam Fox, Quick has taken on a bigger workload. In 20 appearances, including 19 starts, he owns a 4-14-1 record, a 3.10 goals-against average and a .890 save percentage. New York had just three wins in its last 18 games (3-13-2) before the Olympic break.

While candidates looking for experienced depth may see his $1.55 million cap hit as manageable, Quick’s contractual control complicates any potential deal. Other Rangers who have reportedly attracted interest include Vincent Trocheck, Braden Schneider, Alexis Lafreniere and Sam Carrick.

With Shesterkin returning to full training and nearing a return, Quick could soon return to a backup role. Whether Drury prioritizes asset management or honors veteran preferences will become clearer as the trade deadline approaches.





2026-02-21 11:42:00

Similar Posts